from the fifties to today
Our illustrious history in the world of motocross has deep roots!
In 1958, a group of motocross enthusiasts founded a course at Maggiora that, for the era, was one of the premier motocross courses in all of Europe.
By the sixties, the track was already known at both national and international levels, but it truly received global renown from the mid 1970’s with the organization of the first Motocross of Nations (the largest off road event in the world) and numerous Grands Prix.
Throughout the eighties, the course was a global standard for the motocross scene, hosting two further Motocross of Nations – the first in 1980 and the second in 1986. In particular, the 1986 event has gone down in history among both fans and professionals as the greatest competition in motocross history. Thanks to an extraordinary performance from Team USA and an unprecedented public audience (over 50,000), it is often said that the 21st of September 1986 ushered in the ‘modern era’ of motocross.
During the nineties, Maggiora continued to host Grands Prix with great success (in 1990, 1992, 1995 and 1997), and in 1999 held its final competition before the course was closed.
THE SCHAVA PROJECT
In 2011 the Schava Society, led by Paolo Schneider and Stefano Avandero, took over the entire area to rebuild and relaunch the new Maggiora Park. An ambitious project of renovation led to the launch in 2013 of what is now one of the leading Action Sports parks in Europe.
square meters of surface
square meters of fixed structures
square meters of parking areas